Video below is from 12/23. 63 degrees. Objectives for the track: increase duration of focus, practice turns, deal with distraction Nim stayed in the game, made the four turns with ease (almost seemed accidental), and refocused after distractions. Things we can improve: Article indication, speed and precision of track laying. As is my custom, I tethered Nim near the start of the track, then laid the track. I don't think I'll do that again in a park. The track was 350 yrds long, and Nim was out of my sight for much of the track laying. I was very anxious about some kind person thinking he was abandoned. It's cool enough for me to leave him in the car. Safer that way.
Popular posts from this blog
I've posted video from the November 25th tracking class as well as video from tracking with Nimrod on the 2nd. The tracking class video is late because we were out of town for the holiday and had no internet. Then there were network connection problems. The Dec 2nd track was article with food, ten shuffle steps FD, 3 steps, FD, ten shuffle steps. It was a 1, 90-degree L turn. Each leg was about 100 yards if I understood Google Earth correctly. The track had no age as I was losing light rapidly. google
Nice! At 1:37, when he looks up at the noisy car…feel free to give him a quiet “good boy” when he chooses to go back to work. Just one, quiet “good boy” nothing more.At 2:35, when he gets stuck, rather than repeating the verbal cue, call him to you, give him a good rub, toss a treat out onto the track and see if that restarts him. It usually does. We don’t gain anything by letting them stop and stare, and they don’t understand English, so giving the cue isn’t that helpful at this point in his training. When he is tracking, he looks great.
ReplyDeleteSession structure: At his level, we’d like to see three tracks of progressively longer lengths, with the food drops remaining unchanged. So, if that track was 30 feet, you would ideally do three tracks, one of 30’, one of 40’, and one of 50’. Next time out, you’d do 40, 50, 60 feet. And after that, 50, 60, 70. Just continue that pattern of progressively longer, WHILE KEEPING THE FOOD DROPS THE SAME.
Nice job on this one—let’s do more!